What is a Seawolf today?

Morriss Pendleton, ROH
For many years it has been a great joy in my life to live the part as a "SEAWOLF" an all it had come to stand for.  My family and friends looked up to me.  It was with great pride that I went to visit "Redwolves" a few years ago along with many other wolves.

They were proud of us and held us in high reguard.  You could see it in their eyes when I talked to them.

Today when I go to the forum the subject always comes to how much money can I get from uncle sam and what can I do to make more.  What worked for you and try this or that.

That isn't who a SEAWOLF is but is who we are fast becoming........Are we to go out this way?????

Re: What is a Seawolf today?

Bear
Morris I could not agree with you more.  My hope is that our brothers who need & earned the right to compensation are being taken care of.  In some instances I am confused as to compensation awarded for what?  Certainly not for me to decide however.
I quit going to the local VFW because it became more stressful than flying combat to listen to the bullshit stories spewing out of mouths of some of these pseudo hero's. I have instead joined the "Wounded Warrior Association" in hopes of helping our young men and women of today that are truly American Hero's.  I don't want them to be the subject of criticism and suffer the ridicule we encountered when we returned.

R/Bear

Re: What is a Seawolf today?

Howard Jacobs
Morriss... I too was at both of the Heritage Days in Norfolk and I know what you are talking about. The Seawolves have been a big part of my life since my very first day arriving in Binh Thuy.  I too am proud to have served with the greatest unit in the Navy with some of the most bravest and dedicated Sailors anyone could ever know.
I believe in helping any Brother Seawolf that asks for what ever reason. Lately it may seem that there are a lot of posts, including my own, in reference to compensation from the VA.  I believe whatever problems one may have that were the result of military service should seek the care that they deserve and if compensation is part of it then they should go after that also. There are a lot of issues like heart disease, diabetes, cancer, PTSD and etc. that were the result of serving in Viet Nam and many have no idea that treatment is available through the VA.  It's all about helping each other.. it takes awhile to get results with the VA and it seems that there have been several that have finally come through. To some a few extra dollars makes their life a little bit better to live from day to day.  I don't believe that this will be the dominating topic of the forum and something else will arise to take it's place.

I too get frustrated at times with the forum and have stated I would leave and never come back.... but I can't. I don't want to miss having that bond that means so much to me and keeps me going. I don't want to lose this FAMILY.... if I do.. there will be a very large void that will never be filled.

To all the maintainers, pilots, gunners that I've flown with...those that trained me ( Bill and Lee).. are the  ones that made it possible for me to be the MAN I am today and I owe them all more than ever.

SEAWOLF FOREVER.....

Re: What is a Seawolf today?

Michael LaBella (ROH)
I too feel like Howard,we are getting older and some of us more dependent on help I am a Seawolf and all of you are all my brother Seawolves. a lot of us would be homeless and without income, due to different circumstances and the little bit of help that may appear that the va says is our gift for our service, we can still keep an existence  that will hopefully be bearable, i know we get carried away on one subject for a long time and we are all set in our ways,, so we make mistakes like normal people do,  well i for one am here to help any of my brothers to the best of my ability for as long as i live, we share a commodore as a unit moreso than all the others, we were small enough that we just about no everyone from the different seasons of conflict  enough now   love you guys, and just stay healthy and happy.. now back to my project :)

Re: What is a Seawolf today?

Morriss Pendleton..pretty darn good question,..we, SeaWolves, are so many individuals with a common thread binding us loosely...in my experiences with meeting and talking with members of our Pak, i find good men, and the many contributions of care and responsibility i've witnessed from Seawolves,..reunions, RFTW, Munford, dropping in on them at home, talk'n over the phone, computer, text'n & so on....has been a boost of good feel'n from these guys..for myself, since "the Nam"...i have enjoyed the each and everyone encounters i've been fortunate so far to be part of...sum-times i have to go miles off-road to visit with these amigos,..good for me i like to travel...hope to meet you in Dallas Morriss...i might add if we have already crossed-trails,..well could be the glass is half-full or half-empty,..i don't do test'n much good, but i'm okay with a beer or two..

Re: What is a Seawolf today?

John Gallaher
Its a good thing we have a few real combat heroes in the Association to remind the rest of us where our place is, right Bear.

Re: What is a Seawolf today?

Bear
I hear you John:)  Hope things are going well for you bro.

Warm regards,
Bear