Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

David Smale
Our son Greg is currently teaching in Thailand. He is thinking about going to Vietnam for about a week in mid-march. Does anyone know anyone that has traveled back to Vietnam that I could talk to for any advice or suggestions on where to go. He would be traveling alone. That is of some concern to us but he has been out of the U.S. for 6 months having traveled on his own extensively to many countries before starting his job in Thailand. So he has developed some savvy travel skills. Not that it matters but he is 25, very fit and travels with a full backpack and tent and tries to do everything on the cheap. He has not decided whether to go to the North or the South. He needs to purchase a ticket pretty soon. Thanks for any help.

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

Bill rutledge
Tell him not to go to the areas where you pulled liberty, he might run into some of his older brothers or sisters ha ha

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

Paul Albertine
Dalat, Nha Trang...ha long bay in the North....  cheap? Buy a bike and ride, bus is safe, people love Americans... 70% of population was born after the "American War"...and everyone else has moved on.... Vietnam is safer than Thailand, but like everywhere there is petty crime, and very bad drivers....  it's great he has the oppo, if you don't travel you don't appreciate this country, nor understand the rest of the world....   American media, nor any Corp run or state run media will ever "explain" as well as talking to people...  As we all know there is a lot of beauty in Vietnam...  good luck to your son

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

David Smale
Bill that would have been more likely in the Phillipines  (sp) LOL. Paul good info. Thanks. I will pass it on. Go Cubs--they will win the division in 2025--so they are almost there.

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

Larry Peterson
Hey David - I received the note from Mike - Send me a email address thru Mike since I'm not a member of this forum, so we can correspond directly - My wife and I are currently in Vinh Long and not far from Can Tho.

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

..I have several folks that have traveled back to "the Nam",..vets & wives...one has been to the north..he talked of a wonderful trip with good relations with the locals...others were down south different areas and spoke of the locals seeing them as warriors...the vets told me of the many war memorials slanted somewhat in there views..May-Li event and along that course with others..all say they enjoyed there trips and even wished to go back...i also agree that travel is the best education for a young American,..best to Greg..("happy-trails pilgrim")....sounds like a fine man David.....

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

Lee Hirschel
A number of years ago there was a site on the internet of two Vets, I thought  from Hal3 that went back to Viet Nam and posted a blog of their adventure. I have lost too many hard drives since that time, but would like to find it again. Does any one else remember this or have the link?

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

David Smale
Thanks gents. I think we have a pretty good handle on it now thanks to Mike Burns who did a blog of his 2009 trip. Mike and I were in AO shop together before I went to det. It was good to get back in touch with him. And Mike Worthington has put us in touch with Larry Peterson who posted above. Between Mike Burns and Larry Peterson I think Greg will have some good input. Paul I have copied your post to Greg also. But not yours Bill. LOL. They drive worse in Thailand I think and Greg has leased a scooter there so he is pretty good on a cycle. Plus Paul he was a bike messenger through a bad winter in Chicago so he is pretty tough. Again thanks.

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

Mike Burns
Lee I don't know if you are thinking of the blog I wrote of my trip in 2009 or not.  My neighbor and I went back, he was in the Army up on the DMZ, I in HAL 3.  The blog address is michael-burns.blogspot.com

son was a bike messenger in Chicago...  then he needs little advice on 'how to survive', even in a combat zone...  bad winter in Chicago?  is there any other

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

Lee Hirschel
Yes Mike that was the trip I remember reading about. Great photography by the way. Viet Nam is on my bucket list also. I see that you took a cruise thru the Panama Canal. We are planning on doing that in 2016 when I retire. We plan to take the cruise from LA to Miami when the reposition the ship from Seattle to the Carribbean. We took the Alaskan cruise back in August 2013.
Are you coming to Dallas for the reunion?
Lee

paul he was going to Columbia U film school in Chicago and working PT as bike messenger. Decided to transfer schools but had lease in Boy's town not to far from you. I said the lease is on you now so he worked full time for APex. Finally in May--not sure what year--he got kicked over a curb by a car ended up w/ badly broken collarbone It was a dreadful winter similar--not quite as bad to this and he soldiered on. He showed me some stones I did not realize he had. I am proud of who he had become. Yea messaging is a tough gig in Chi town--but he loved it.

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

Paul Albertine
things have changed 'dramatically' in Chicago...lots of protected bike lanes downtown, new bike programs going in everyday...if you open a door and bike runs into it, $500 fine...all for naught, nobody, but nobody messes with people who ride bikes here any longer they have gotten 'real mean' and you will probably get a big boot dent on your car if you cross one...in the downtown area they rule the streets, even when there is 6" of snow and 10 degrees out....most of the hipsters live in westtown and bike downtown...

So is he now a Blackhawks fan?

Lee, yes I am planning to attend the reunion this year.  Hope to see and meet a bunch of brothers there.
Glad you liked the blog.

Re: Son possibly going to Vietnam--we welcome any advice

David Smale
Paul don't know about the Blackhawks. He is ardent Bears fan. He would agree with your comments. When I rode with him one day he said do not ever make eye contact with a driver. You just take your lane and ignore everyone or they will think you are giving in to their size advantage. Unfortunately he broke the other collarbone just as badly a few months later racing some buddies in Marquette Michigan. Now has two plates with seven screws in each one for each collarbone. Same Dr. who could not believe it.