Possible squadron member

Rick Hodge (ROH)
Does anyone know if a gentleman by the name of Clyde R. Nachand was a Seawolf?  I'm asking because I just found out that friends of his believe he belonged to HA(L)-3 and I found out that he was killed in a motorcycle accident in Phoenix, AZ on March 25, 2010.

Re: Possible squadron member

Gary & Barb Ely
Yes Rick, Clyde was a Life Member of the Association and was involved in a tragic motorcycle accident in March 2010.  We last saw him and his wife at the Nashville Reunion in 2008. My records indicated 68-69 Binh Thuy.  Hope this helps.

Re: Possible squadron member

Rick Hodge (ROH)
Thanks Gary for the info on Clyde.  He was a member of a small motorcycle club that my ex and her boyfriend belonged to.  There was a total of 4 killed and 5 seriously injured.

Re: Possible squadron member

Mike Dobson
Clydw was on a local ride with friends and was rear ended by a dump truck (as I remember) at an intersection as he was waiting for the light to turn green ------ the driver was under drug influence as I remember
Mike Dobson (ROH)

Re: Possible squadron member

Dan Arnes
Wolfgram TAPS:
Nachand, Clyde Raymond CDR, USN (Ret) August 31, 1942 - March 25, 2010.  Clyde was a wonderful person, an outstanding father and was taken from us way too soon.  Clyde leaves behind his beloved wife of 43 years Sandra, 3 daughters Michelle (Erik), Susan (Dennis), and Carolyn (Brian) and his grandchildren Danielle, Collin, Ryan and a granddaughter due this August.  Clyde grew up outside of Everett Washington, graduated from Everett High in 1960 and Western Washington State in 1965.  Clyde was commissioned as a Navy Ensign in 1967 where he spent the next 28 years of combined active and reserve life dedicated to his military service to the United States.  During this time, he not only earned himself the rank of Commander, but also specialized in Special Warfare and was proud to be a member of HAL-3 Seawolves.  Toward the end of his reserve career he assumed command of the NR 4th MARDIV 1-14 at Treasure Island, took up a start-up command and created the only fully functional Naval Gunfire Unit in the 5th Marine Division.  During his 28 years of service he was awarded 15 Commendations and medals. These included Combat Active Ribbons, Meritorious Unit Commendations, and a Navy Commendation award with star.  He was a dedicated Navy man and proud of his military service.  In 1971 after returning home from his two tours in Vietnam he completed his Masters in History. After completing his Masters he moved to the San Francisco Bay Area.  In 1972 he began working in the insurance industry.  He became an insurance broker in 1975 with Lincoln Life and he turned many of his clients into lifelong friends.  He was an active member in church his entire adult life.   He was also a weekend presenter for Marriage Encounter retreats providing marriage enrichment for couples for 23 years.  Clyde loved his Harley Davidson and would go out on rides with his friends in a variety of motorcycle clubs.  It wasn't just the riding that he loved.  He loved the biking community which became an extended family.  He was extremely proud to be a part of the Patriot Guard where they would ride to honor veterans and soldiers.  His family finds peace in the fact that he was doing something that he loved and was with his biking family when he passed.  Clyde was very outgoing and never met a stranger.  He lived by the motto "treat others as you would want to be treated" and would do anything to help a friend.  He was a loving husband, a great Dad to more than just his 3 daughters, and PaPa to his lucky grandchildren and other children that knew him.  He was taken from us much too soon and will be missed terribly.  The family would like to thank all of our friends, neighbors, and the community for their outpouring of support during our time of grief.  The family would also like to extend a special thank you to all of the emergency personnel who responded to the scene.  A celebration of his life was held on Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 10:00 AM at the Church of the Beatitudes located at 555 W. Glendale Ave in Phoenix.  Interment was at the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona.

Clyde Raymond Nachand's Obituary

Both Clyde and Stephen B. Morrison were in RivRon 5 from Coastal Div 11 (Swift boat outfit on Phu Quoc Island….John Kerry's claim to fame) and then transferred to HAL 3 on 6/6/1969.

Dan