Lost another Seawolf and LIFE Member in Illinois

Lost another Seawolf and LIFE Member in Illinois

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Just found out that we lost another Seawolf/Seadevil;
Association LIFE Member Matthew (NMN) SZYMANSKI, AMHAN (ROH), Gunner, Det 3, 7/17/1970 to 7/6/1971. Transferred to HS-10 FFT HC-7, IMPERIAL BEACH, CA (AMHAN).

Obituary Seawolf Matthew Szymanski
Matthew Szymanski (ROH)
February 05, 1951 - December 09, 2021
Matthew Szymanski, age 70, a longtime resident of Bartlett, IL, passed away on Thursday, December 9, 2021. He was born February 5, 1951 in Chicago, Illinois to Peter and Irene Szymanski.

Matthew grew up in Wheaton and graduated from St. John Lutheran School and Wheaton North High School. He served in the US Navy during the Vietnam War. In the course of his four year Naval career, Airman Szymanski served in helicopter squadrons HAL-3 (the “SeaWolves”) and HC-7 (the “SeaDevils”), achieving the rank of Petty Officer 3rd Class. He was awarded numerous commendations including the Distinguished Flying Cross, and two Navy Air Medals for heroic and meritorious achievement. Throughout his life, Matthew took special pride in his role rescuing downed pilots from hostile territory during his service, maintaining contact with many with whom he served.

After the war he returned to the Wheaton area and worked in hydraulic systems fabrication. He eventually became an electrician with IBEW Local 134. Matthew enjoyed his dogs, cooking, the outdoors, and fishing, and doting on his grandchildren. He continued to be interested in military and aviation history, participating in Naval symposia dedicated to Vietnam War search and rescue operations, often as an invited speaker and participant.

He is survived by his wife, Peggy; his two sons, Ryan Matthew (Faith) of Spokane, WA and Graham Drew of Bartlett, as well as two grandchildren, Luciana Marie and Evan Matthew, who he adored to no end. He is also survived by his sister, Susan Birkholz of Elkhart Lake, WI and a brother and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents.

Services will be private.

Memorial gifts may be directed to DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Charitable Service Trust

Family and friends may sign a guest book at hultgrenfh.com. For more information, please call Hultgren Funeral Home at 630-668-0027.
HULTGREN FUNERAL HOME
304 N. Main St.
Wheaton, IL 60187
(630) 668-0027

Side Note Re: Matt's DFC -
 An A-6 Intruder from VA-75 crashed into the sea moments after being launched from the Saratoga on an armed recon mission over North Vietnam. The squadrons C.O. CDR Charles Earnest was killed the NFO LCDR G.L. Jackson survived. CDR Earnest had received the Silver Star for directing the successful inland rescue of Lt. J.R. Lloyd of VA-105 by HC-7 Big Mother crew flown by Lt Harry Zinzer and Lt Young the crewmen were Stretch Ankeny AE3 and AMHAN Szymanski. Mr Zinzer and Young were awarded Navy Crosses. Both crewmen received Distinguished Flying Crosses.

Dan

Re: Lost another Seawolf and LIFE Member in Illinois

CDRMB
Dan - I was flying the HS-7 plane guard that night when the VA-75 skipper and Grady Jackson crashed.  My copilot and crew were Charlie Andrews, POs Dick Mooberry and Charlie Aklin (swimmer).  Saratoga was well into the deployment and the launch was a midnight scramble to attack a convoy coming down the Ho Chi Minh Trail.  CDR Ernst's A-6 was the first bird off the starboard bow cat.

We had just finished checking out the auto approach/hover system and were hovering on the starboard quarter waiting for the first bird.  We knew what the normal night launch looked like in terms of the attitudes of the anti-collision lights when the stiff wingers went off the bow...normally a relatively flat climb out.  In this case, the lights did a very vertical pitch up immediately followed by a flash off the starboard side. I called the tower and asked if they had a plane in the water before they had a chance to call us and tower confirmed an A-6 in the water.

We flew over to the general area, went into a hover and turned on the landing lights to help our rescue crewmen find any survivors.  After a few minutes, the rescue crew sighted one and Charlie Aklin was lowered into the water to help him (Jackson) into the rescue sling and into the helo.  We continued to look for the second A-6 crewman (Ernst) and called the tower to get a second helo to assist in the search.  In the end, we we were not able to find CDR Ernst, just his flight helmet.

The accident investigation later determined that the A-6 was undergoing maintenance on the big TV screen used to fly low level.  In the chaos of the scramble, it was not secured and on launch, came back forcing the stick into Ernst's lap resulting in the vertical pitch up off the cat.  Jackson said Ernst was trying to right the bird but to no avail and did not eject.  He left a wife and children.  Just one of many tragedies in the war.

Re: Lost another Seawolf and LIFE Member in Illinois

CDRMB
A follow-up to my previous regarding the VA-75 crash.

I don't know what the Navy does today to recognize rescue swimmers but I don't remember the two POs in my crew getting any type of recognition other than a short thank-you from Grady Jackson.  But I do wish the Navy automatically recognize the bravery of the guys in the back of the helo for what they did on such occasions.   My two petty officers did their jobs magnificently.  PO Mooberry guiding us over the survivor and PO Aklin for dropping into the water covered in jet fuel on a black-assed night.  That ain't for the faint of heart.  We all remember significant events from our flying days and this is in the top two or three for me.

Re: Lost another Seawolf and LIFE Member in Illinois

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Totally concur Mike, and I don't know if anything has changed in that regard since I retired in '91 as Rescue Aircrew.

Re: Lost another Seawolf and LIFE Member in Illinois

               ... Rest in Peace Seawolf ...