GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS AT PATRIOT POINT

Ed Fancher
I seldom get on the forum but on occasion if I have something to say I throw in my two cents hopefully for the better of our Association.
This past week I visited Patriots Point in South Carolina with a close Vietnam brother and his wife.  We took our wives first to visit the Yorktown and in particular i wanted to get the "correct" scoop on the Roll of Honor display.  I was graciously taken to where it had been on the hangar deck, but we found the Roll of Honor displays had been removed and replaced with JAP carrier pictures.  Much to my disgust I inquired as to why this was done.  I was told by the Volunteer (a WWII veteran) he was not sure.  I mentioned to him if the deciding powers did not deem it worthy to display our boards perhaps the USS Midway in San Diego might like it.  I did not tell him I had any authority, I merely told him I found it most unfortunate it had been removed.  He completely agreed.
After return to the INFO desk this gentleman called someone from their Committee I believe.  When he was done talking he came to me and said the plans were to REINSTALL the Roll of Honor plaques and it would be done most likely next month.  THIS is good news to me and I hope good news to any Seawolves reading this.
Now for the BAD news...
We then went over to see the Seawolf Helicopter and our KIA memorial.  The memorial still looks great except for 4 small American flags surrounding it which looked old and laying in the mud.  What really bothered me was our Helicopter.  Our Seawolf looks like crap!!!!! Windows are all scratched, a shin bubble was broken out, no mini-grun mount on one side and the side that had one looked in disrepair and the feeder was hung down and partially in the dirt.  Overall the Seawolf Display was just to me a complete disgrace!!  On the ship the planes there all were well maintained, and they had a nice display in writing giving info on each aircraft and I could not help but think how nice it would be for visitors to see something like that showing what HAL-3 was all about and what the Seawolves did in Vietnam.  NOTHING!!  If I lived in South Carolina I would have been happy to spend some time to at least make an attempt to correct this situation.  Perhaps there are Seawolves living close enough to help, can't the SEAWOLF ASSOCIATION do something to improve this disgraceful looking display ? I am not trying to point fingers or insult anyone, but listen Seawolf brothers I was embarrassed to show people what I saw the other day.  In respect for all who gave some and some who gave all can not the Seawolf Associaton get this corrected asap ?  Something must be done.  Lastly when I went into the Gift Shop I saw hats for the various ships and squadrons, and other momentos, books, etc.  I was wondering why not something for the Seawolves, how about some of the books written being put on display for sale ?  So with that said brothers, I will close this out by only reiterating that our Seawolf Helicopter display is shameful.  When I took my son to the Midway last year the Seawolf helo there looked GREAT!  And in front of the helo was a beautiful written history of the Seawolves and the help.  Those of you who are in any way responsible for the Seawolf Display at Patriots Point PLEASE take action now.
That's about it, God bless the Seawolves and their families.
Always Proud To Be A Seawolf,
Ed Fancher

Re: GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS AT PATRIOT POINT

kid purington
..Ed,,

..Thanks for update....Seawolf Association...I believe Ed....This is a "disgrace" and "embarrassment"...

....my two cents;...better to remove all,,,than to let mud paint our Squadron...

Re: GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS AT PATRIOT POINT

Michael La Bella (ROH)
same goes for the seawolf helo at fallon naval air.  needs a new nose piece. a good wax job,, maybe I can do something after Dallas
You've never lived until you almost died, for those who fight for it
freedom has a flavor the protected will never Know!

Re: GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS AT PATRIOT POINT

Mike Dobson
well written Ed --- and your thoughts are echoed by us all that have been there ---- hopefully, the monument and helo will be taken care of as part of the Vietnam project which is underway and set to be fairly extensive. Barry has been to the Yorktown and talked with the director. The plaques are supposedly in his office (so that mountain has been climbed) --- Barry was promised that the exhibit would be reinstated earlier this summer and your visit proves that is not the case . After a lengthy discussion, Barry did make a lot of headway, and did get some answers ..... but as you said, the ROH exhibit is not up ---- sooooo pending the reinstatement of that exhibit (forget the digital business - until they have some of the information needed to make that presentation, it isn't going to happen)  ,,, my disgust in what is and has been happening is reflected in my direction to cease our donation to Yoirktown until the ROH is once again in place .

Re: GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS AT PATRIOT POINT

Howard Jacobs
Ed... I'm glad we talked before you headed down there and had a little heads up on what you might run into.. I just didn't know how bad it really was.

Mike.... I'm with you 110%... something needs to be done.. this I'm sure will be a heavily discussed topic at the reunion meeting.

I would like to thank all those that have done the best they could in keeping this project alive.

Always a Seawolf!

Re: GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS AT PATRIOT POINT

Joe Versace
Well Ed,
THAT WHOLE MUSEUM IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN 4/0 CONDITION. WHEN YOU WALK UP TO THE GATE THEY DON'T HAVE DIFFERENT PRICES TO SEE PRETTY CARRIER OR A CHEAPER PRICE TO SEE THE "GHETTO" . THEY HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS. RUTLEDGE HAD THE RIGHT IDEA WHEN HE WANTED TO MOVE IT TO THE LEFT COAST. WE HAVE TO GO DOWN THERE AND MEET WITH THE CURATOR AND SEE IF HE'S WEARING A ROLEX AND DRIVING A BEEMER. $20.00 IS A HEAVY TO PAY WHEN YOU VACATION WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND BE INSULTED.

GIVE JULIE A BIG HUUUUG AND SAY HELLO TO THE KIDS.
BROTHERS FOREVER
LOVE YOU
JOE VERSACE

Re: GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS AT PATRIOT POINT

Ed Fancher
I appreciate the inputs regarding my post on Patriots Point.  I am glad Mike Dobson was onboard with this, no doubt he will bring it up for further discussion.  I also agree with Joe Versace that it does look like a ghetto compared to the displays on the Yorktown.  $20 is also a bit much, so a family of 5 pays $100 ? Ugh!  Considering most of the workers and all of the tour guides are former military and are volunteers I am not sure what they do with the big bucks they take in 7 days a week.  To see such lack of attention given to the Vietnam section is sad to say the least.  Unless one knows where the Vietnam section, its easy to walk right by it and miss it entirely.  As for the ROH plaques I would like to see them proudly displayed on the Yorktown next month. If however they fail to reinstall it, then in my humble opinion as Joe said you guys might want to consider putting it on the USS Midway in San Diego.  That's about it.  Thanks again for the responses.
Always Proud to be a Seawolf!
Ed Fancher

Re: GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS AT PATRIOT POINT

Joe Versace
I'm glad you mentioned the ROH plaques. If you remember the inductees paid for their own plaques to be displayed. We paid for the banquet also. If my plaque isn't going to be displayed I'd like it to be returned to me.