Found a Seawolf

Howard Jacobs
I was sitting in the local VA waiting for one of my group sessions and gentleman came up to me and wanted to see the back of my vest. I rode my motorcycle to the VA since it was a nice day out and I always wear my vest. I had the large Seawolf patch on the back and the gentleman said... "You're a Seawolf!"  I said yes and he said he was too... he was there from 72 to 73 for the decommission.  His name is Gus Louis... is there anyone that was around then that might know him?  He told me his rate but I suffer from CRS... can't remember shit.  I told him about the association and where to look on the computer... I have his phone number if anyone is interested.  He said he is originally from Mississippi but had moved to the Youngstown, Ohio area.

Re: Found a Seawolf

Rod Chelius
Didn't the squadron decommission in 1972?

Re: Found a Seawolf

Howard Jacobs
Yes they did as far as I know... but there were members that were still there to break everything down and stuff.... I don't know how long people stayed after.

Re: Found a Seawolf

Stephen Cash
AMS2 IN THE 71/72 CRUISE BOOK.

Re: Found a Seawolf

Howard Jacobs
If he is in the cruise book then he was there in 71 and 72 not 72 and73.  He did say too he was looking for a cruise book because he lost his.

Thanks

Re: Found a Seawolf

Steve Donnell
I read the comments and read something about a cruise book? Can someone explain and give more info about one.

Re: Found a Seawolf

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Steve,
The first and only issue of the HA(L)-3 Cruise Book was started around Mid-July or so of 1971. I can't remember when it was actually finished and distributed or made available. I can't even remember if I received it before I left on Feb 17, 1972 or maybe it was mailed to me?

Anyway, you can see the inside pages of it at: The Only Seawolf Cruise Book Published

There is no Cover shown there, but here is what it looks like:
Seawolf Yearbook Cover

AMS2 Gus Edward Louis is on the center of page 77 in the yearbook: Yearbook Page 77

Dan

Re: Found a Seawolf

Steve Donnell
Thanks Dan. That was interesting.

Re: Found a Seawolf

Howard Jacobs
Dan... I think they were passed out before we left...I know I had mine when I left.  I only have one question and that would be to whoever worked on the book... why did they write those captions under the pictures?  Just the names would have been a lot better... sorry .. just my opinion.   And yes... I know... opinions are like assholes... everyone's got one.

Re: Found a Seawolf

Dan Arnes
Administrator
I agree Howard. They also didn't include Detachment photos except for a few that were not labeled as such. There were only a few, and again, no names....Evidently they didn't keep track of names with the photos thinking everyone would recognize them from the individual photos in the back...

I don't know who organized it from the squadron, probably Administration, but I'm sure it was a Vietnamese company that published it...

You left almost a month after I did, and if I received it before I left, I don't remember it...

Dan