DET 6 Pilot 70-71

Tim Bianco
Hello, I’m the nephew of Seawolf 68, Captain John D. McAfee (LTJG John D. McAfee, USNR in 1971). He passed away in 2008 of multiple myeloma and I have quite a few documents and items from his time with the Seawolves. I was wondering if anyone on here may have known him or have any interest in looking over any of the documents or items I have of his.

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Hi Tim,

Thank you for offering information on his documents from his tour with HA(L)-3!

I just happen to be in the middle of updating all Seawolves Awards during their time with HA(L)-3 and I show that "Jack" was awarded 2 Air Medal-Strike/Flight Awards, and a Navy Achievement Medal (With Combat V) during his 4/28/1971 to 3/13/1972 tour with HA(L)-3.
(He also received at least 3 Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals, and 3 Meritorious Service Medals after his tour with us that show in the database from other commands.)

Unfortunately, the database that I am pulling from, only gives the type and date the awards were Approved, the Unit who submitted it, and also currently does not have the "Navy & Marine Corps Medal"; "Purple Heart"; or "Combat Action Ribbon" Awards.

As for the Air Medal-Strike/Flight Awards, there is no information shown as to the number of awards within each Award of this type of Air Medal.

For most Seawolves, there were multiple awards included within each Air Medal-Strike/Flight Award, but is only shown on the actual Air Medal-Strike/Flight Award Certificate, or DD-214, and usually given in words like "Authorized Numerals 1 through 10", or something to that effect.

If you have these two Award Certificates, please email me at dan_arnes@yahoo.com:
Name: John David McAfee
Award Date: 10 Dec 1971 (Approved Date)
Type of Medal: Air Medal-Strike/Flight
Military Unit: 06821 (HAL-3)
Military Regiment: Fleet
Military Service Branch: Navy
Action: Meritorious
Office: Officer
Awarded By: Commander Naval Forces Vietnam

Name: John David McAfee
Award Date: 14 Apr 1972  (Approved Date)
Type of Medal: Air Medal-Strike/Flight
Military Unit: 06821 (HAL-3)
Military Regiment: Fleet
Military Service Branch: Navy Reserve
Action: Meritorious
Office: Officer
Awarded By: Commander Naval Forces Vietnam

**************************This is the other Medal he received from HA(L)-3
Name: John David McAfee
Award Date: 28 Jul 1972
Type of Medal: Navy Achievement Medal (With Combat V)
Military Unit: 06821 (HAL-3)
Military Service Branch: Navy Reserve
Action: Meritorious
Office: Officer
Awarded By: Commander in Chief U.S. Pacific Fleet

Also, if he should have any of the awards mentioned above that are not in the database, or Awarded during his tour with us that are not listed, I would like to know that as well.

You can email me also if you have any questions.

Dan

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

Hello Tim... Bak in the day I was on Det 6 as a doorgunner and flew with Mr McAfee. I believe he is in the back row,second from the left.?  This was an award ceremony and that's why we all are so clean and good looking.

Very sorry to learn about your uncle and the cancer taking him.

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Kid,

I like the dog laying in front of everyone laughing at you!

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

kid purington
..Dan.. during a rocket attack Bingo (dog) was hit in the neck with a piece of shrapnel, rushed him to the medic's and after a few words Army helped Navy and Bingo recovered okay .. unfortunately a good friend of mine was killed by the rocket.. it was meant for the Officer's hooch.. hit the roof and bounced into the M.A.R.R.'s radio hooch..Rick (KIA) had just recently returned from his extension leave.. his Mom didn't wish for him to return and begged him to go to Canada.. Rick told her not to worry he had the safest job on the Base.. Rick and I was outside talking before he went bak over to his hooch (Radio shack) when the rocket screamed in over my head causing myself to drop flat onto the ground..  It just happened that way..

Until you brought "Bingo smiling" to my attention, it triggered my memory about the dog & the shrapnel rocket event..  So many story's my friend.

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Kid,
Sorry about your friend. I looked closer at the photo...is that a VN guy in the back row with a HA(L)-3 patch on his blue flight suit? If so, do you recall his name?
I've run across a couple of VN names who received awards from us, is why I ask.

Dan

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

kid purington
Check your e-mail Dan...

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Got it Kid, Thanks!

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

James Tice
in 68 Det 3 had a female mutt  that was very attentive to us Seawolfs. She had a litter under my bunk.
 we raised them and made sure that all dets and Vung Tau had an opportunity to have one. Could this be one of them all grown up?

Re: DET 6 Pilot 70-71

Rick Meussner
shewolf. I have a photo of her somewhere. I can remember keeping the hooks away from her pups. She was mated with Mavericks dog Gunner

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 24, 2020, at 1:13 PM, James Tice [via Navy Seawolves] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 in 68 Det 3 had a female mutt  that was very attentive to us Seawolfs. She had a litter under my bunk.
 we raised them and made sure that all dets and Vung Tau had an opportunity to have one. Could this be one of them all grown up?

http://navy-seawolves.1002155.n3.nabble.com/DET-6-Pilot-70-71-tp7129p7170.html
To start a new topic under Navy Seawolves, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Navy Seawolves, click here.
NAML