Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Bill Pressey
It is easier to qualify for SSDI than VA benefits, just submit your Doctors records Civilian or VA and you will receive a rating you could be as little as 70 percent rated by the VA and get a full benefit from SS....The beauty of this is you additionally receive the benefit tax free, thus reducing your taxable income....full details in the next Wolfgram or call me 208-888-1049... Regards bpressey

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Howard Jacobs
Bill... thanks for the info.. I'll be giving you a buzz in a day or two (if I remember..lol)

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Mike Dobson
Bill, I know for a fact that 60% will also work ----- although it may require a "interview"    ... At 50% you are eligible for SS disability (direct info from the VA)  ....  bottom line, DO IT !
Mike Dobson (ROH)

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Gene sjoberg
  I got SSD @ 100% before VA rating, so when I applied for unemployability I was denied as I was already drawing for 100% SSD and couldn't work.  Just saying.

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Lee Hirschel
Bill,
I am @60% with the VA can I also apply for SSDI and receive both at the same time? If I do get SSDI canI/does that convert to regular SS at my full retirement age?

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

JimArmstead
I am not sure what you are saying here, Bill.  But, many would disagree about SSDI being "easier" to get than VA DIB.  It is quicker to a first decision though...but then many take years of appeals to get.  I also question the tax free statement--VA yes--SSA-don't think so!

I will wait to read your Wolfgram entry...but, all make note--VA and SSA DIB--totally different animals!  VA assigns % of DIB.  SSA-you are either 100% or 0%-nothing.  And I have never heard anything that states you automatically received SSDI if you have a certain VA %...so I
question that.

I have offered before--and only 208 Days before I retire--but I do work for SSA and am happy to answer general questions for any brothers.

Jim

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

JimArmstead
This post was updated on .
http://www.4socialsecuritydisability.com/taxes.html  Basic info on tax on SS beneies :  DIB no different than retirement--it is "taxable income"  and if it puts you above the income levels you will pay tax--
But, many do not if living on SSA and VA--spouse not working ...etc.

I tried to call  you Bill--but got "box not set up message".  Just want to chat about what you wrote here--I may be understanding you..

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Lee Hirschel
Jim,
Maybe you can answer the questions I have about SSDI and VA see the message above yours, Please.
Thank you
Lee

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Howard Jacobs
Is there a set amount on SS disability? If so what is it?

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

RED CUMMINGS
Howard its 100% or nothing

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Gene sjoberg
   Lee, I am sure you can get VA compensation and SSD concurrently and when you reach retirement age SSD converts to SSR. It did for me youngster!! I turned 76 years young Sunday.L2S

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Lee Hirschel
Thanks for the info Gene. And a belated Happy Birthday to you young man!

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Howard Jacobs
Just a note to add to this... if you don't have enough credits (or quarters) you will not be able to apply for SSDI.  I don't have enough to file for SSDI but will still get half of the ex's SS starting March of next year when she turns 62.

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

John Gallaher
Howard - are you sure you don't qualify?  Didn't you retire from the police or fire dept. in your city?  Maybe someone is giving you some bum info - I know people who have broken backs or necks that qualify for SSDI and only paid in for a few years - one fellow had just worked 5 years (20 quarters), broke his back and began receiving checks the 6th month after being approved.  He drew about a years worth, recovered to the point he could work again (a mason - concrete finisher and stone layer) and was taken off.  After all it is an insurance policy in case you become disabled, just paid to Uncle Sam instead of a private company.

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

Howard Jacobs
Yes John I don't qualify... I talked to someone in SS and since I don't have enough quarters I will not be able to draw SSDI. I'm retired and getting half of my pension from Ohio Police/ Fire Pension fund (ex gets half from divorce) I would have to prove injury on the job to qualify for any disability on that end.

Re: Applying for & Qualfying for Social Security Disabilty reduces you taxable income

John Gallaher
OK, I thought service-connected injuries and a disability rating would put you in a position to apply for SSDI and thought they would base the disability payments on the 3 highest years you worked and did pay in - military service, etc.  I assumed you still had to pay into SSA even if you were paying into the Ohio State fund - you know "for the good of the masses." (-:]  I just thought federal union members (USFS, BATF, etc.) were exempt and had their own gigantic retirement fund and didn't need SS money.