chicken plate

Tom Weckworth Det6
As far as I know we were the only pilots take the chicken plate itself out of the vest and put it under the shoulder straps. That was because it was too heavy incase of a water landing. Anyone have any memories about this.

Re: chicken plate

RED CUMMINGS
Yes Sir I remember Red Cummings Det 6 69 70

Re: chicken plate

   Watching from trail bird as lead bird fell from sky into the "Gulf of Siam" (lost engine) shortly after we was all airborne,..it was a good idea for pilots to quickly be able to shuck chicken plate, cause even with auto-rotate the bird dropped like a rock into drink...door gunners popped outa bird pretty fast, co-pilot after a short time...we waited for what seemed to long before pilot finally broke surface,..came out thru the top he later explained...watching all this unfold and not able to help from our position was a crap-butt feeling for myself....water rescue was not easy...what a "pucker factor" that whole scene was...Thank's for Mae-West..co-pilot had two on himself,...i bet he popped three feet above water level when he shot up from depths,..thank god everyone made it out to fly again...three times i watched Hal-3 birds fall from sky into drink...we could have used pontoons, i think.....from T lift-off until over land us gunner sat on c/plate...and as said, pilot, co-pilot sliding c/p plate under belt straps....."Take'n fire"

Re: chicken plate

Rick Meussner
KID, WITH YOUR GREAT POWERS OF RECALL AND KNACK FOR DESCRIPTION - YOU OUGHT'A WRITE A BOOK. I'D BUY IT.

Re: chicken plate

kid purington
..Rick, thank you for book idea..i'm chew'n on it..results might be slow as that describes myself..and with our recent snow and ice storm here..many trees have broken and tumbled to earth..big maple in back yard subcomed to over-load of ice and came crashing down,..wipe'n out rears of toll on structures out back..fence, grape arbor, Etc;..have now traveled to great beyond,..smashed.!!..tree limbs the size of large anaconda's are still loudly crack'n and dropping with little warnings,..what a mess it B here..a foot of slush in road-ways and idiots attempting to navigate find themselves spinning madly and sliding into objects that don't move from pathways...many cries of alarm..body shops singing "happy days are here again"...so between mass of work (for myself) to "think about" and annoying spouse'al unit chattering.."what are you (me) doing,..there's much work to do.!! for you (me again)"...well i could be tied up a spell with all said and unsaid projects around here...Hawhyee is sound'n better all the time...i wish motorcycles could fly..i'm gone!!

Re: chicken plate

Rick Meussner
Kid,
I don't envy you. We had a similar storm here Halloween 2011, Knocked out Power & downed trees. I had 2 big maples & 1 oak break due weight of Ice & snow, damaged roof on house & shed, + brought down power line to the house. - we were without electricity for 8 days.. Chain saw got a good work-out.

When you're ready to start writing, I'll send you a ream of paper....