Reunion note

Rev. Don Poole
Brothers.....don't know for sure if I will finally be able to attend the reunion.  Still working out some details, but hope to be able to come. (daughter lives in the area which will help with costs.)  Note about the Cavanaugh museum.....at my last visit there, they had a Seawolf helo on the premisis.....in rough condition. I believe they look to restore her, perhaps as a static display.....if you go on their tour, be sure to look this bird over....can't remember the tail number, but it has the Seawolf logo on the nose.  Tried to find out how they got this bird and from where, but didn't have much luck talking with the folks who were in charge.  Wanted to see if they would let me buy a chunk that they may "discard" in the process,with the plan to make plankowner plaques to give to each plankowner (or their family) as a momento.  Still haven't heard back from them....tried the same request with "wings and rotors" but same "no response".
....if anyone happens to have a piece of an acutal bird that can be documented as genuine, let me know...I still want to do this project for any plankowner....no cost to the member.
Blessings....D.Poole

Re: Info on UH-1B BuNo 62-04567

Dan Arnes
Administrator
UH-1B BuNo 62-04567, Bell SerNo 627

This bird used to be owned by Scott Kraska:
http://www.seawolf.org/aircraft/index.asp

http://www.seawolf.org/aircraft/resto.asp

We owned it from 02/05/1971 - 09/30/1971.  Det 1 and Det 7, and put 420 Flight Hours on it.

Taken from http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/index.php/component/content/article/90

"Built in July 1963 by the Bell Helicopter Co. of Ft. Worth Texas for the United States Army, this aircraft was originally assigned to the 117th Aviation Company ( later renamed the 117th Assault Helicopter Co.), part of the 52nd Combat Aviation Battalion in Pleiku, Vietnam 1963-64, then Quinhon, Vietnam 64-65. During this time, 62-4567 served as Troop Insertion, Extraction, Medivac, and Resupply with the Call Sign "Tailormade 567". In February of 1966,  it became part of the 611TH Transportation Company, serving until June of 1967 when it was returned to the United States for Gunship Conversion.

Returning to Vietnam in January 1968, it was assigned to the Gunship Platoon of the 120th Assault Helicopter Company based at Tan Son Nhut Air Base near Saigon. During the first hours of the 1968 "Tet Offensive" it was one of 8 helicopters that defended the air base and the city, taking small arms hits on 1/31/68 and 2/2/68. This platoon, "The Razorbacks", was credited by the mayor of Saigon, with the saving of the city. "4567" continued service until February 1971 when it was again transferred.

Accepted by U.S. Navy Attack Helicopter Squadron 3, HAL-3, at Binh Thuy in February 1971, it was cleaned, necessary repairs made, and new markings were applied. This squadron, "The Seawolves" was tasked with naval close air support for River Patrol Forces in Vietnam, Task Force 116, including PBR and Swift Boat fire support, SEAL Team insertions and extractions as well as joint operations with Army Riverine units. Serving first with Detachment 1 at "Solid Anchor" and then with Detachment 7 in Dong Tam, this gunship flew hundreds of combat missions over the Mekong Delta supplying firepower for the Navy. In October of 1971, it was deemed that this aircraft, approaching its 9th year of service, was in need of a major overhaul. It then left Vietnam and was returned to the Bell Helicopter Co.

By the time the rebuild was completed in the summer of 1972, there was no further need of additional aircraft in Vietnam, as the war was winding down. It served as a training aircraft at Ft. Rucker, Alabama until 1975, was then transferred to St. Paul, Minnesota and then Wisconsin as part of the Army National Guard."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More info at:
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/62-4567.html
http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/kessler/HUEY.htm

Photos at:
http://www.seawolf.org/aircraft/index.asp
http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/uh1ah1.htm

Dan

Re: Info on UH-1B BuNo 62-04567

Don Poole
Dan....thanks for the info on "4567"  Still looking for a piece of an actual Seawolf to parcel up and make plaques.....do you have any idea how many plankowners we had in the squadron?
Mind you if I can get this project on board, each member(family) will be given a plaque with documentation on the bird.....as per the tradition of plankownership.  Perhaps Scott has a leftover.  Thanks again.   D.Poole

Re: Info on Plankowners

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Don, there is no "Official" Plankowner List that I am aware of.

I show 378 Plankowners, but it is unofficial as criteria made it difficult to determine officially, since I have found no records of it.

Of course, all the HC-1 Det personnel are Plankowners and anyone in the squadron when it formed up on 1 April 1967, but the problem is the criteria also states anyone who had orders in hand to HA(L)-3 when it formed were also considered Plankowners, regardless of when they actually reported. That's what makes it hard to determine...

That's an awful lot of plaques!

Dan

Re: Info on Plankowners

Bill Rutledge ROH
This Seawolf gunshiip was owned by Scott Kraska in Ma,  it was used as a static display and was used in a movie,  When he had to sell it , IT WAS OFFERED TO ANY SEAWOLF AT A REDUCED PRICE  , Mustang Mel Howell wanted to buy it to put on an LST on the River in evensville Ind, the boat didnt want it on their deck so he didnt buy it, and Cavanaugh Museum picked it up to restore it,

Re: Info on Plankowners

Don Poole
Yep....and I got lots of wood/paint/printable paper....all I need is a list of names, and a chunk of a genuine HAL-3 helo.....and I'm good to go......might be a good idea to look for plankowners at the reunion.
Don

Re: Reunion note: Seawolf bird in Texas

Doug Taylor
I was on Det 7 during the time of the Cavanau bird. We flew it's last missions & turned it in to maint. last months of '71. Have flight records as proof.