Question for All that Use this Forum

Rick Racich
Administrator
All,

I am in the process of taking over the Seawolf.org web from Ed. What a fantastic job he's done for all these years. During this process, the subject of this forum came up. I can easily implement a newer-style forum into the rebuilt architecture of the website soon to be launched.

The catch is this: It is literally free to accomplish should it begin without converting all historical posts into this forum. If that historical is desired to be kept, I will have to pay a company to convert it, then implement it into the new-style. It's basically conversion of databases that otherwise are not compatible.

So... here's what I'm looking for from all of you. Please provide feedback to me about your feeling about keeping old threads, or simply starting new.

Admittedly, I am not an active user of this forum, so I am unfamiliar with how important older threads might be to each of you.

NOTE... If familiarity and keeping historical threads is a concern, I will simply continue to link to this forum until we can afford the cost to convert. Also please note, that their is an ongoing security issue with this forum's format and access. I can do nothing to prevent that. The newer-style will have much better security functionality.

Let me hear what you have to say, and thanks for any support you can provide.

Rick Racich

Re: Question for All that Use this Forum

Jim Plona
Mega kudos to Ed for his work over these many years.

Rick, thank you for continuing to support our site.  I would call myself a regular user of the forum.  I go back to past/historical post VERY infrequently.  In the future, if I have a question, or need help with past information I am relatively confident I could find a resourse to help me.

Regards, Jim Plona

Re: Question for All that Use this Forum

Jess bradbury
Finally got I n

Re: Question for All that Use this Forum

Pat Samel
Rick, I us the forum quite a bit but do not really look at historical posts. I should say I go to the forum almost daily but post rarely.

Re: Question for All that Use this Forum

Rick Racich
Administrator
Thanks for that Pat. I'm thinking that's likely the case for most. I know that the new web (going live very soon), integrates some things that most might have used the forum for in the past.

I think after I get some feedback, that I'll do a transition period for a complete changeover to a new forum within the new site. Old dogs don't take to new tricks easily.. :)

Truly appreciate your feedback!
Stay well, my friend.

Rick

http://navy-seawolves.1002155.n3.nabble.com/Question-for-All-that-Use-this-Forum-tp7383p7386.html
To unsubscribe from Question for All that Use this Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Question for All that Use this Forum

Rick Racich
Hi Jim,

Ed has done a fantastic job for all these years! Most would not grasp the volume of work he actually accomplished... and my job to take over was made relatively simple by his superb organization of all the files involved with the site.

Thanks for your input here. Feedback has been mixed, and I'm leaning toward a transition time for changeover, where folks can become  comfortable with the new version.

Like I mentioned... conversion of the threads of the old stuff to be used in the new, can become a costly endeavor.

Rick

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020, 8:36 AM Jim Plona [via Navy Seawolves] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mega kudos to Ed for his work over these many years.

Rick, thank you for continuing to support our site.  I would call myself a regular user of the forum.  I go back to past/historical post VERY infrequently.  In the future, if I have a question, or need help with past information I am relatively confident I could find a resourse to help me.

Regards, Jim Plona

http://navy-seawolves.1002155.n3.nabble.com/Question-for-All-that-Use-this-Forum-tp7383p7384.html
To unsubscribe from Question for All that Use this Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Question for All that Use this Forum

Mike Dobson
I don't roll back to check posts that are buried in History either ----   I do like the way when a subject is posted on, it comes back to the top of the pile and has a "visit count" that runs with it ..................   Ed has done a  great job, and it should be added that health has been Ed's reason to ask for a replacement as webmaster ----- thanks for the years you have given Ed, and thank you Rick, for coming on board !   There is a update, and serious change to the method of ordering from the Ship's Store coming in the near future -----  if it works half as good as it looks now, I think everyone will like it, and it will take less paper !!
Mike Dobson (ROH)

Re: Question for All that Use this Forum

Rick Racich
Administrator
Thanks Mike for that input. I just got a tentative cost estimate on converting from the current forum to the new web architecture. Pretty costly (about $350 per 10k posts, and this forum has 68k+).
I'm thinking we stay with the current method and build the new (it's free). Eventually it's likely folks will slide over.

http://navy-seawolves.1002155.n3.nabble.com/Question-for-All-that-Use-this-Forum-tp7383p7389.html

--
Rick Racich / RR Branding
6970 Song Drive • Cocoa, FL 32927
321-213-3545 (Cell)
[hidden email]

Re: Question for All that Use this Forum

Mike Louy
Hello Rick.  I like most of my brother Seawolvews check the forum maybe once a week or less (when I remember).  that may be the preoblem for many of us.  Not that we don't cary our service /with brother Seawolvews, it is just that , well it is jusdt that we don't remember as well, and sometimes learning new techonlogy, even if it is a new Samsung 5 burner range can be a little confusing at times.  Savvy.  Hell, when it comes downb to money, I'd just rather buy my brothers beer.

Very best wishes and thanks for your willingness to help preserve what we have,

Mike Louy
Det 4