Just curious about something....

Gary Capshaw
I was an Army Grunt in Vietnam with the 196th BDE in I Corps.  On my Freedom Bird home from Cam Ranh Bay in mid-August, 1971, my seatmate was a Sea Wolf on his way home too.  Believe it or not, I had never previously heard of your unit and he told me all about it on the long flight to Seattle. I can't remember his name, though I recently saw a group photo taken in Vietnam in the Spring of 1971 and there is a guy in that picture named Osterberg who looks very much like what I remember my new friend looking like.  Of course, it's been nearly 50 years, so who knows?

Now I'm curious to see if anybody here can help me identify who he was. We had a pretty unique experience when we landed because the runway at McChord AFB was closed and we had to land at Sea-Tac International and pass through the terminal.  Let's just say the reaction from the crowd was not at all what any of us expected and I'd like to know if he remembers it the same way.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Capshaw
Texas

Re: Just curious about something....

Mike Dobson
Gary . I just went through our "master" list,  sorry, there was no one with a last name starting in a "O" that returned to the states in the month of August 71 ---- but there might be an error ----- hopefully someone will see your post and have more information ------ if you have a exact date you derosed back to the states , we might get closer --- I assume he was enlisted ?
Mike Dobson (ROH)

Re: Just curious about something....

Gary Capshaw
Thanks for the response.  His name might not have been Osterman.  I really don't remember.  The guy in taht picture just looked like him is all.  We  left CRB on either August 17th or 18th, so whoever went on those days should be him.  If there were more than one Seawolf on the flight, I'm sure they would have sat together.