Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Dan Arnes
Administrator
06/19/2014

**03** Found obituary for DAT Seawolf James Gary DeLORE, ADJ2, Gunner, Det 7 and later Det 3, 2 tours, 4/2/1968 to 10/27/1969. When I found Ted Gorczyca yesterday, he said he had met Jim DeLore at a campground once and said he had passed away this year. I had been looking in Michigan for several years but could not find a phone# that wasn’t disconnected. I even tried to find a relative from the obituary I found, but all have disconnected phone numbers.

ADJ2 Jim Delore  Obituary Photo

Obituary

FindAGrave Memorial

TWS Shadowbox

Dan

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

David Smale
What a shame to know Jim was in the great state of Michigan all this time. I graduated from HS the same year on the other--the good side--of the state. An experienced millwright is a pretty talented guy.  I recognize the picture from the 1968 NG article "The Mekong river of terror and hope". It is a great article. If anyone wants a pdf copy send me an email and I will forward it to you. It is the usual quality stuff from NG.

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Frank Gale
May Jim rest in peace. I have many fond memories of Jim when we flew together on Det. 7. So sad that that he passed before we could locate him. He was a great shipmate.

Frank

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Dan Arnes
Update to Jim's passing:

I had left a message on the only phone# I found that actually worked. The answer machine didn't say who it was, so I didn't know if it was him or someone else.

I just got a call back from Jim's brother Tom. He said Jim passed away of a heart attack, died in his sleep.

He didn't have a computer but took my contact info to give to his widow who has a computer.

Dan

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Martha DeLore
Mr. Arnes,

 I was recently notified by a relative that you are seeking information about Jim DeLore who served with the Seawolves in Detachments 3 and 7. I tried to email you but the email address I was given is not valid. I am his widow, regretfully informing you that he passed away April 2, 2014. We had the pleasure of visiting the Seawolves Memorial in Charleston, SC a couple of years ago. Jim and I met Ted Gorczyca and his wife last year while travelling out West in our RV. If I can be of any help with your research, please feel free to contact me.   Sincerely,    Martha DeLore

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Hi Martha,
Thanks for reaching out and sorry for your loss. Jim's brother Tom did not give me your contact info, so I can't contact you. You can contact me at my email address: dan_arnes@yahoo.com. I thought he may have had some problems writing down the address with that underscore in it...I have some info to send you by email.

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

John Harris
I just found out about Jim's passing.  I am so sorry.  He was a good friend of mine in Vietnam.  When I first came out to DET, he trained me and I flew as his gunner until I became crew chief.  We flew together in DET 3.  I was hoping to see him at the Seawolf Reunion later this year in Dallas.  I hadn't seen him in 45 years.  God bless you and your family.

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Martha DeLore
Mr. John Harris-  Thank you for you condolences regarding Jim's death. He passed away from a service connected disability. He did mention your name when he spoke about his time in the Navy. When he spoke about it he mentioned the good times he had with the guys he became acquainted with during his tours. I heard many stories over the years. It is unfortunate he didn't keep in touch but that's the kind of guy he was. He was a larger than life person , one that is hard to forget once you met him. Someone, it may have been you, gave him a Zippo lighter with a special inscription on it. I can't remember what the saying was, maybe something about blowing winds, but he kept it. Good memories are what sustain us. Thanks again for your condolences to my family and thank you for your service to this country.

Mr. Frank Gale-  Thank you for your condolences to my family. It is good to know that you remembered Jim . He was the type of person that is hard to forget. He chuckled when mentioning that he had a " reputation" . He didn't mince words or sugarcoat anything. That was Jim. I'm sure you remember that. He spoke of the good times and friends made over there and actually enjoyed his time in the Navy . Although he didn't keep in touch, he remembered the ones who made an impression on him. We visited Imperial Beach, CA last year where he was stationed all those years ago. Also the memorial in Charleston, SC. He later served in the Reserves. If things had turned out differently he would probably have reenlisted full time. Thanks again for your condolences and for your service with the Seawolves. God bless.

Mr. David Smale-  Thank you for your condolences regarding the loss of Jim. Yes, Michigan is a great state. It's nice you remember the NG article, I have a copy of it. Jim and I ran into a guy in Florida a few years ago, while travelling, who was doing a display for a local military festival and he had a Huey on site. We were talking to him and he actually had the same picture of Jim in his folder and he asked Jim to sign it. He was asking Jim how the photographer got the shot and Jim relayed the story behind it. I don't know if you knew Jim or not, he often spoke about several guys he was stationed and served with, etc. If things had turned out differently he probably would have made a career in the Navy.Jim was a patriot and one not easy to forget as he left an impression on anyone he met. Larger than life. Thanks again from my family and I and for your service in Vietnam with the Seawolves.

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Dan Arnes
Administrator
Martha,
The Seawolf you were talking to in Florida with the Huey was Doug Taylor.

Dan

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Michael La Bella (ROH)
Martha, I knew Jim I was on det 3 , John Harris was my trainer and crew chief, I am sorry to say my memories are just about kaput I am so sorry for yours and our loss, our hanger in the sky is starting to fill up, they are all sitting around and drinking coffee and scarfing up on the donuts waiting for all of us to eventually get there, as we are all brothers of the Seawolves. bless you

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

David Smale
Martha, we all thank you for your kind words. If we had known we would have made it to Jim's service. We try to be represented at the services of all lost brothers whether we personally knew them or not. I hope you had taps played. Mournful but powerful. Hopefully you have many friends and family to help you through this transition to life without Jim.  I hope it was a wonderful journey together--a successful long term marriage is not without challenges but keeping it successful has so many rewards. You will have many friends if you need us. Our continued prayers to you and your family.
David and Debra Smale

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Martha DeLore
David and Debra Smale-  I read your nice reply and thank you both on behalf of myself and my family. It's comforting to know that people will reach out over decades and miles to remember a fellow serviceman whether they knew him or not. That is an awesome thought to ponder as families consider the connection that existed within the Seawolves unit. Jim would have appreciated that. Obviously  the connection has stayed intact over time. Yes, Taps was played at his service as it was a military burial. I can't describe the emotions this type of service invokes, it was exactly the type of tribute our family wanted and we are so appreciative of that. As I was out at Great Lakes National Cemetery over the holiday I was struck by an " aha" moment. There is a beautiful Memorial Path at the back of the cemetery where many military organizations have monuments. I was thinking that it would be fitting to have a Seawolves monument placed as now there is a member laid to rest there. I'm not sure if there are any other Seawolves buried there or not. If you and Debra are in Michigan I would encourage you to visit Great Lakes, it is a really beautiful cemetery. I believe the other national cemetery is on the other side of the state.  Anyways, I would like to see a monument placed there and I plan on taking some steps to see if this can become a reality. Jim belonged to the American Legion so I am going to start there in this process. If you or anyone has any suggestions on the best way to go about this I would appreciate your input. Thanks again and God bless you both.           Martha DeLore and family

Thank you for the information, the name sounds familiar. He was very informative to talk to and gave us the information about the Memorial in Charleston, SC which we later visited. We were quite impressed by his display, he had video footage playing and a lot of photos displayed, including the one of Jim in NG. As we have been sorting through things we came across a collection of 8 mm films that Jim took of Vietnam. I am going to try and get them restored or put on a different type of media. He also has numerous slides of his time over there that we came across and I'm hoping they are still good and can also be restored. I would be glad to share these with the Seawolf Assoc. at some point if they are interested. I would like to see a Seawolves monument placed at the Great Lakes National Cemetery where Jim is buried and plan on contacting the American Legion to see if they can assist me in this process. I'm not aware of any type of memorial of this type in this area and I think it would be nice as now a Seawolf brother is laid to rest there. I see there is a lot of data about the Seawolves in the history section on the main page. If you or anyone has any suggestions on how to make this happen I would appreciate any information you can provide to me and my family. Thanks again for all of your hardwork and dedication to this project.         Martha DeLore and family

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Martha DeLore
Thank you for your condolences to my family. Yes, there are too many that have passed on. Gone too soon as the saying goes. Jim would often laugh at his memories of that time although certain ones remained strong and clear. My family and I are touched by the connection that continues to exist within the Seawolves after all these years and we express our gratitude to the service given to our country during the Vietnam War. Jim relayed a lot of good memories of his time over there, that's really the only thing he spoke about related to his service time. I hope to be able to have a local Seawolves monument placed at Great Lakes National Cemetery where he is buried. Thank you again on behalf of my family and I on your respects to Jim.          Martha DeLore and family

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Gordon Douglas Det 7 68-69
Rest in peace Jim.
Flew with Jim, awesome gunner, have great memories, good friend.
We had a great team. Miss them all.

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Martha DeLore
On behalf of the DeLore family I would like to thank you for your condolences regarding Jim's death. It is comforting to know that you remember him from your service time. There are several photos of him on the Detachment 7 section. He was one of a kind and a larger than life person. Yes, he was an excellent marksman, a skill  he carried from hunting experiences growing up in Michigan. That was one of his favorite hobbies upon returning home. Probably therapeutic to some extent. He had many photos and slides of people he served with, many without names. Thank you for reaching out in Jim's memory and our family thanks you for your service with the Seawolves. God bless.        Respectfully,      Martha DeLore and family

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Doug Taylor
I met Jim at a reunion in Carabelle, Fl a few years ago. He was passing thru the little town when a parade was going on & saw the Bee. He came over to check it out, said he was in HAL-3. I showed him my photo album, I had found that picture of an unknown gunner from a Nat Geo mag. He saw it, "That's me!". The story ensued, had to ask where the photographer was standing. He is remembered.

Re: Found another Seawolf (DAT)

Martha DeLore
Mr. Doug Taylor-  Thank you for remembering Jim. That was the spring of 2011. Our last winter in Carrabelle, FL we decided to attend the WW II Gordon Johnston Festival at the encouragement of friends there. What a coincidence that you would have your Seawolves display there. Jim was really impressed by talking to you. We decided to take the long way home to Michigan and visit the Memorial at Patriot's Point. We took a lot of photos there and Jim knew a couple of guys on the KIA monument. That might not have happened otherwise and I am very grateful we did that now. Things just don't happen by coincidence.  I hope the Seawolves Assn. doesn't move this memorial to the West Coast due to the problems mentioned in the editorial. It's nice to have a place like this for people who live in the Midwest to visit.You were one of only two Seawolves he came across in the 40+ years since leaving the Navy. The other person he met was Ted Gorcyzca and that is another story. We were spending our last day at a campground in Silver City, NM , sitting outside at a common area, and Ted walked up. He and Jim struck up a conversation only to find they were both Seawolves. Ted said to him " Welcome Home Brother" and that meant a lot to him. Again, I don't think that was coincidence. I have been educated by this website and appreciate all the effort that has gone into it. The DeLore family thanks you for your service with the Seawolves and your dedication to continued education and awareness of what this unit did for our country in the Vietnam War.    Respectfully,       Martha DeLore and family