Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

JimArmstead
I posted this request awhile back and got no response--but thought I would try again.
My wife and I are loading up our Xterra and heading South to retire in Mexico in September.

We were hoping to attend the Reunion on our way out of the Country...but have a dilemma...we will have everything we will then own loaded in and on our vehicle.  Short of finding a storage place near-by--unloading Wednesday--and reloading Sunday--we were hoping that here was a Wolf that had a safe/secure place to park our rig for the week.  We are good with getting a cab to the Hotel for the reunion and then back after to head out.

Any help?

Jim

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Rod Chelius
I am not in the Dallas area, but have you thought of storage/car rental at a weekly rate?

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

alan d lee
I've got room at my place here in Florida, but I don't know how much the cab fare would be....

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Mike Dobson
Jim, this is not a facility that would be considered "endangered" ..... Your belongings will be safer here at the host hotel's property than in a "storage area" or on the street in a residential neighborhood. I would feel safe leaving my vehicle here for sure --- it is well lighted and if you have jewelry or cash you are worried about, the Hotel will have a safe --------------  any other motel or even stop you would need to make before or after the reunion will be riskier than here ----  you might deter theft further by covering your interior load with a small tarp that will prevent anyone from looking through the windows and surveying the contents.
Mike Dobson (ROH)

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

JimArmstead
Thanks for the input...Mike--will be spending a night at the "host Hotel" in a couple weeks.  So guess I will check it out then.  No Jewelry or cash to take!...but there will be a roof rack and rear basket loaded--with misc stuff--glass is tinted so not to worried about peeking in.  On trip in from Oregon and after reunion--South...will be staying a motels where I will have rig parked outside me room--with window open and alarm on.

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

kid purington
..Jim, i was hoping Mike would say sum'in to yah about Dallas...he goes down there, gets into "bar fights" "chase's wem'in"...and lord knows what else...figure he had the "skinny", he's a "cowboy" type friend, "armedillo's"..BEware..E..............just say'n....keeps scorpions for pets too.!!

.....Safe journey amigo.....

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Gene sjoberg
   Armidillos were made so Texans and Okies could enjoy Possum on the Half-Shell !!

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Adam Rogoski III
When you park your car in any Motel around Dallas Ft. Worth Metro area with anything of value in it, put a sighn on your windshield writen in English and Spinash that reads DON'T BREAK GLASS, DOORS ARE UNLOCKED. I've worked over there and stayed in motels for 45 years before I retired. If it's worth a nickle, there going to steal it .

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Frog
Jim, I suggest you get your conceal carry permit before you leave, and carry during your trip.  Check specific state laws for carry ie. Stand Your Ground.  See you in Dallas.

Next, Could I get a little help!  You are the SS expert.  Please see Mike O'Briens recent post on SSDI.  Like Mike, I was on SSDI since 2008.  When I turned 65 last Feb., I got a letter from SS saying I was going on regular SS and the amount would not change.  Could you answer the question, what SS is or is not taxable?

Regards,
Jim

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

JimArmstead
Frog~ First, I do not carry a weapon.  I figured out some time ago--I am not a person that should have a gun--got rid of them all several years ago...and I am still a free man!(as opposed to being in jail)
PTSD + guns=trouble.

As far as SSDI....Everyone on SSDI (DIB) receives that letter as they approach "Full Retirement Age"(FRA).  Your monthly amount remains the same--but you are now on retirement (RIB), and paid out of the retirement fund.  SSA DIB stops at FRA.

Unlike, VA DIB--SS benefits are taxable income--DIB or RIB. That is why you receive that 1099 every January--(like the W-2 you used to get when you worked).   If a person receives SSI-it is not taxable as it is a welfare type benefit--not earned--(like food stamps)'

Hope that helps.

Wow--makes me feel like Reunion may be too far out and to much trouble...could just get on with retirement--and not do the stop over.  But, figured this was a big one--and probably my last.

This is probably the best suggestion--thanks Rod.  I am looking for a storage place for the week--and making some calls soon.  Several near by Airport.  And will just unload Wed and reload Monday....no big deal...I will be retired after all!!

Thanks for the post Jim.  Looking forward to seeing you at the reunion Amigo :-)

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Rod Chelius
Jim, when I needed secure storage for my truck (RAM), with a LARGE load I rented a storage unit for a week. Drove the truck in, closed the door and used a rental car for the week.

Where in Mexico are you going to call home? Enjoy your retirement in Mexico.

Have fun at the reunion!

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Steve Donnell
Jim, I didn't notice your post until today. Don't know if it would help you any but I live about 30-45 min. east of the host hotel in the town of McKinney. There is a toll road that starts 5min. from my house and goes right by the hotel and airport headed to Ft Worth. Not sure if that is too far to jocky your car from the hotel to my house, but if you are interested let me know and we can visit though emails or I will give you my cell number. I'm willing to help if I can. Car storage is only $850 a day plus tax! (just kidding)!

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Jim Armstead
hey Rod~  I have been thinking exactly that--pulling it in storage and getting cab to hotel.  We are moving to Bucerias--about 20 miles Noth of Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks for the input

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

Jim Armstead
Thanks for the response Steve--which I just saw today!  We are starting to think of looking for a storage place and kind of doing what Rod mentioned above--pull it in and the catch a cab to Hotel.  then no unloading or anything.

Not sure what you are offerring but, let me know if you think you have a solution that works--just need secure place to park a totally loaded rig--

Thanks,

Jim
jpaford at hotmail . com

Re: Any Seawolves in Dallas area...

gparejko
Jim, I live in Allen, TX and work in Plano, TX right off the George Bush, I have checked and we have a large warehouse that you could park in for several days. I am going to the reunion on Wednesday morning sometime and coming back on Sunday late morning. If you would like to use our warehouse just let me know.

Gene